Monday, May 4, 2009

Talim Island


Talim Island
Photobucket
Where is Talim Island?

Photobucket
Still clueless? View the picture below.

Photobucket
If you're still unfamiliar with the location, either you're not from Luzon or you're not from the Philippines.

One of the most memorable rides I've had this year is in Talim Island. Why Talim? aside from our love of outdoor scenery, me & my bike buddies were looking for something different. Talim is not too far from the metro. To get there you need to go to the Binangonan port just kilometers away from the Taytay-Binangonan junction.

We started off pedalling from Tiendesitas Pasig. 18 Fireflies was the initial headcount.
Photobucket

Photobucket
We arrived 30 mins. later at Binangonan port, of course I'm just joking.

Photobucket

Photobucket

When we arrived at the port, some started to board the bikes on the bangkas, some carboloaded at the nearest fastfood & carinderia, some took lotsa pictures (like me) but all were excited. Headcount: this time 28 Fireflies.
Photobucket

Photobucket
Oliver & Nhan

Photobucket
Love bird, Rush & Adrenalin.

Photobucket
Off we go! wait I'm not in there yet!

The locals were quite curious seeing a lot of bikers loading their bikes. Some of us sort of need to explain where and why we are doing this just to feed their curiousity. 

Empoy's relative, and the other people who assisted us were really friendly and helpful. Obi and Empoy planned this nicely. They had the bangkas scheduled, the meals cooked ahead as well and they even had CB radios, Obi was trailmaster and Empoy as sweeper.

As we journeyed to Talim Island, we were quite saddened by the fact that the water is very much polluted. Not as polluted as the Pasig though. One even tried dipping his hands and pouring the water over his arms to see only mud left. Not only is it muddy the water is quite smelly too, to give you an idea, try going to a nearby creek. The travel was more than an hour, perhaps an hour and a half..feels like it.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
My shoes which I prayed to make it till the end of the ride.

Photobucket
Probably one of the caretakers of the fishponds resides here.

Photobucket
At last, Talim we are here!

Photobucket

When we got off the bangka, the locals started to build up, of course curious as to why we were there and where we came from. The start was cemented but after a few meters beautiful trails. The rocks there are quite different, they appear to be darker. The initial trail was a rock garden followed by a partly muddy trail, a must-bike for outdoor hungry bikers. One good thing about the place is that there are lots of trees.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

There were short uphills which were very steep. Since we're first timers around the area, there were uphills which had narrow roads which we didn't anticipate to be that long, in the end we had to walk. The uphills were very rewardings (not only makes you stronger) because of the beautifl sites which you can see in the photos below.
Photobucket

Photobucket
The rest of the crew posing.

Photobucket
Couples adrenalin & rush.

Photobucket
Eric aka BM5er.

Photobucket
Offroadie Andie.

Photobucket
Andie & Milo.

Photobucket
Urban night-rider slash videographer Obi.

Photobucket
Karate kid stance by Milo: "Heeyah!"

After the uphill, what do you expect? Downhill bliss, there was a long downhill after that awesome view. The first casualty, that I know of, is Rodel. He had a flat tire. During the whole ride he had 3 flats total.
Photobucket

Merienda time again. The store owners family were kind enough to chat with us, we told them why we were there and they told us that we were quite unfortunate because they had their fiesta last May 1, wherein the food was free for everybody even strangers like us, not to mention the booze. The weather was perfect, it was cloudly most of the day though it was still quite hot around the island.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

After that short merienda there were a variety of terrain, there were muddy and very rocky, cemented then very very rocky. Even before lunch my shoes were starting to give-up. The right shoe's sole (rear) opened up, thanks to Obi for the cable ties, during the rest of the ride (only after lunch) I tied a fishnet, and additional 2 ropes around my shoes. 
Photobucket
Literally killer-joy, if not for Empoy and his friend's (sorry dint get your name sir!) helpfulness and patience.

Photobucket

Photobucket
There were hike moments like these, I can't imagine how the women pulled it off on the trek parts.

Photobucket
The guys going back, got lost for a bit.

A day before the ride, I texted Obi if the ride will be mostly trek, he said that bike shoes are recommended. I don't blame him, nor do I blame the guy who I bought the shoes from. It was a good thing to wear the shoes so I can test it. It was not battered nor abused but by lunch time it wasn't fit for biking anymore. When we started to trek on the site of the island, I was already having a hard time walking and had to stop by a number of times because of the trouble the shoes was causing. Before I tied the ropes and fish net, I tied an electrical tape and rubber band (for slingshot) to my shoes but also was worn out as we were walking. It was a test of upper body strength during the island-side trek, because you had to carry your bikes, we weren't sure how deep the water is and the rocks were either sharp or too big.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

When we arrived at Empoy's cousin's place, it was a food fiesta! Though the guys had enjoyed the food, I was more concerned about getting flip-flops (tsinelas). I then removed my shoes first and kindly asked Empoy's cousin where I could buy a pair. Surprisingly, the cousin got me one and told me to pay at the store outside there house. Thank you sir! I dint enjoy much the food (not that I'm complaining) but for me as long as I ate rice with something I'm OK. I was determined to continue this adventure even with sandals only. 
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
My uber comfy sandals, which I bet Rodel envied ;p

After the lunch time off we go again but this time there were more rideable trails. Our main concern this time was the bamboo trails. The thorns would get to your tires or your arms/legs. There were single tracks were you also had to walk because it was too slippery and too dangerous since it was beside the cliff, one wrong slip and bye-bye biker, just send us a post card lolz. Still there were beautiful sites along the way. Some were unlucky this time, the bamboo thorns got thru their tires.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Rodel's 2nd flat

Photobucket
Rodel's 3rd and final flat for the day.

Photobucket
Andrei's only flat.

Photobucket
Roche aka Whoopi.

Photobucket

Photobucket
At last, the trip going home!!!

Photobucket
Small fish na dinaing (Dinaing meaning they dry up the fish under the sun).

When we reached the end of the ride, some of the guys discovered they had flats. They must have had the thorns stuck to their tired along the way. We were all (or most of us) smiles by this time, telling each other "What a nice ride!", some posing pictures, others eating snack or having sodas. Not that I've mentioned it, Rodel mentioned that most of the stores sold softdrinks, and he added the children will be the casualties of these sodas. 

Photobucket
Changing interiors, Mt. Makiling at the back.

Photobucket
Drey

Photobucket
Laguna de Bay

Photobucket
Ann & Malvin pointing at Mount Makiling

Photobucket

When all was set we then enjoyed the view of the island. We saw the long and gruelling areas we traversed. There were moments when we just laughed or had that smile realizing how hard and crazy what we did all day when we could just have stayed home, watched dvd or went to the mall see a movie and eat at a fastfood. Had I known it was that hard would I still have showed up? Hell yeah! Did we enjoy the ride? Of course! Will we be coming back again? Not anytime soon, at least for me, but we'll be back, God willing.Ü 
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Talim island junkies.

Photobucket
The 4 awesome ladies who bike, trekked and carried their bikes throughout the trip.Ü

I got home almost 9pm, I even went back to Tiendesitas coz I thought the guys will grab a bite there but the pack disbanded surviving another day of craziness, sore legs/butts and for some a long (but meaningful haha) argument with their missus. I told my mom about our ride and also showed her my shots, I was surprised coz she told me some of our cousins live there, had I only known sooner tsktsk.

Obi and Empoy thanks for organizing and taking care of the whole pack. Empoy thanks biggie to you also and your relatives, we mean it!

2 comments:

Mindanaoan Driver said...

Damn... You've got some real nice shots there drew.

The love birds pic deserve to be in a feature write up or something.

Why can't we feature riding couples at PMTB?

Cosmic Bubblegum said...

Thanks Drey, you got nice shots as well. That's quite an idea. ;)