Sunday, April 26, 2009

CROSSCOUNTRY BIKING: (DAY 2) BANGAAN-MAYOYAO

This ride was on: December 27, 2008
The next day, we had hot choco for starters (thanks Vei for the warm, yummy Choco Fudge), then I munched some Jelly since my tummy was grumbling. When I opened up the window, whoa clouds were everywhere! No wonder it was darn cold all-night and probly all-day. 


Had pancakes and omelet something, for breakfast. What a view! We savored every bite and treasured every breath. Thank God for places like these. We checked out but decided to leave the humongous bagpacks at the restaurant. We set-off going to Mayoyao and plan to be back late in the afternoon or evening. We didn't bring any clothing, food, just plain bike tools/stuff and also money.






As we pedalled again in the freezing cold, we passed the muddy, slippery towns of Bangaan but rain stopped as we reached Ducligan. There were cemented roads but still mostly was rough road. One wrong brake and you're off the cliff for good. Not to mention lots of dogs. Sa dami ng aso, I think I'm not scared of dogs that much. When you see houses it equates to dogs hehe.


Then we reached the Welcome sign in Mayoyao, the uphill started from there, less than 20kms more. It was sunny down the mountain. But as we approach near the summit about 12-10 kms. from Mayoyao it started to rain again. The numbing cold was also starting to creep within us.




We miscalculated. It was already 2PM but we were still 10kms. away. All uphills. We were not wasted as in exhausted but we felt weak because of hunger. There were no stores when you reach the middle of the mountain and upwards. Now I know how the guy in the movie who ate the butt of his dead comrades felt when their airplane crashed up the snowy mountains. Good thing me and Vei were both determined to still keep on pedalling.


I was psychin' myself out. Tellin' myself: "I already ate and I'm hungry again?" or "Is this all you've got? Bring it on!" When we saw the first sari-sari store (still 5 kms. away from Mayoyao town proper), we munched on whatever available food they had. I had 3 rebiscos, 1 hansel and 2-3 more biscuits which names I could no longer recall. It was an oasis! It was the best tastin' biscuits I've ever had! The best tastin' Royal also!


We were a bit full, hunger ceased but not fully. At least we had energy again. It was already freezing cold. it was almost 4pm by that time. The coldest, hungriest bike ride I've experienced so far. Thanks to Vei for bringing extra ponchos or else I would be singing Jingle balls with Jack Frost haha.

When we reached Mayoyao, with our asses still freezing, we decided to eat first at the first store we saw. The best tasting sardines ever! Good thing the restaurant was also a General Merchandise store and also an Inn. After having dinner we bought some clothes at an Ukay-ukay. We both got tees, sweaters and jogging pants which is a major necessity in a city surrounded by clouds/fog and chilling atmosphere.




We met the store owner's daughter, Vivian, who was super kulit! We were an eye magnet for the locals, it was their first time to see tourists on bikes. Being interviewed by curious people and telling them of our misadventures was a very unique experience.

One of the best sleep I've had in months. We'll bike going to Bangaan then Batad tomorrow. This is Day 2. We still have 3 more days of mountain biking.




No comments: